Q: I need to install a software on my PC, what is annoying is that: I come across the error message "This application has failed to start because COMCTL32.DLL was not found." Some friends told me to download a new COMCTL32.DLL files. But I still got the same message. One problem is I'm not sure if I have done the right thing to fix this error. I need professioncal suggestions. Many Thanks. Allan
A: Hello, the answer is definitely yes. It is possible to fix COMCTL32.DLL if you have tried the below method.
Sometimes, COMCTL32.DLL might be caused by the wrong installation of a software. Note: We highly recommend you to do a clean boot before removing the software from your PC.
How to perform a clean boot in Windows 7 or Vista:
1. You must be the administrator of your Computer.
2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.
3. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.
Fix COMCTL32.DLL Error by yourself!
Step One: Download COMCTL32.DLL Files with SmartPCFixer.
Step Two: Extract the downloaded file to the program folder that the COMCTL32.DLL file is corrupted. Restart your computer and see if the problem is resolved.
Step Three: If the COMCTL32.DLL error still persists, I recommend you run a SFC. In most cases, SFC can find out the damaged COMCTL32.DLL system files for you, and fix it directly.
Automatic COMCTL32.DLL Error Removal Guide:
Step 1 At first, you need to download SmartPCFixer from Official Website and click on Scan option.
Step 2 Click "System Fix", you can view the following pictures.
Step 3 Click "Dll Download" and type the missing COMCTL32.DLL in the searching box.
Step 4 Click Download and Register COMCTL32.DLL Files with SmartPCFixer.
Step 5 Reboot Your PC, Error Removed!